Why we didn’t choose WordPress in 2010
When Tyra and I started ChurchBuzz back in 2010, we looked at WordPress, Drupal, Joomla – the popular open source website management systems and we just didn’t like what we found. It did not seem like a very “professional” system back then.
Why we NEED WordPress in 2014!
- Created a super easy form you can fill out to put your church name, address, contact info, service times etc in all the right places on the site. This will help make the setup much easier.
- Completed implementing our Galilee Theme along with its 10 color schemes and in the process migrated this to be a “responsive” (meaning plays nice with tablets and phones) theme.
- We have also implemented a brand new “Love” theme that we had designed a ways back. (Will be announcing this in a blog post in the next few weeks).
- We have used a set of plugins to extend and enhance the way WordPress will work for churches to make adding new content easier than ever.
- We have implemented the beginnings of a “database” system that will allow you to add in data for homepage slideshows, featured items on the homepage, fan’s, member stories, classes, small groups and the staff of your church. This will make it super easy to keep this information up to date and lays the groundwork for more database capability in the future.
- We are evaluating a few different plugins that provide training for admin users within WordPress to make it super easy to learn how to use WordPress – even though it is very easy to use in the first place.
Here are some things we plan to add next:
- Another Church Website Theme. We already have most of the work done and we have also been working on a way to speed up the process for creating new WordPress Themes to make it as easy as possible for us to rollout new themes each year.
- We have the design about complete on a fourth theme and will be producing that one in due time as well.
What this means for launching new Church Websites
Here are the main reasons why all churches should be using WordPress!
- There is a good selection of WordPress church website themes available. And ChurchBuzz plans to contribute to this as well!
- WordPress is easy to use and even easier to EXTEND and add great amounts of functionality!
- There are many WordPress savvy people out there from designers, programmers and administrators.
- It just makes it easier to have a top-notch, “with the times” church website!